Land tax


New look land tax notices

We are making it easier for you to pay your land tax thanks to some simple changes to land tax notices. Your new notice will feature clearer instructions on how to pay and more information about the types of services your land tax supports in our community including schools, hospitals and urban services. The following notices will change from July 2018:

  • Rates assessment notices
  • Land tax assessments
  • Land rent assessments
  • City Centre Marketing and Improvements Levy and
  • Valuation notices

The ACT Government collects land tax to provide a range of essential services to the ACT community.

Beginning on 1 July 2018, ACT residential properties that are not your principal place of residence, or otherwise exempt, are liable for land tax. Your principal place of residence is your main home. Both vacant and rented properties are liable for land tax.

You’re also liable for land tax if you rent out a secondary dwelling to your principal place of residence, such as a granny flat.

If you’re not an Australian citizen or resident of Australia, you also need to pay the Foreign ownership surcharge.

Who pays land tax?

Land tax applies to residential properties that are not used as principal places of residence, including all residential properties owned by a trust or corporation. Land tax does not apply to commercial properties.

Residential properties include houses, units, dual occupancies, boarding houses, and blocks with multiple dwellings such as granny flats.

Buying a property and land tax

From 1 July 2018, when buying a residential property we’ll ask you whether the property will be your principal place of residence and when you plan to move in.

If you tell us the property will be your principal place of residence, you won't be charged land tax. However, you must move into the property within 3 months after settlement.

We may issue a land tax assessment for your property if you don’t tell us it’s your principal place of residence.

Owning a property and land tax

If you own a property that becomes liable for land tax – for example, because you’ve moved out of your home to turn it into a rental property – you have 30 days to notify the ACT Revenue Office.

If you don’t supply this information on time, it’s a tax default, and you may need to pay interest and penalties in addition to the land tax.

If you rent a secondary dwelling on your property, like a granny flat, you’ll also have to tell us.

You’ll need your rates account number, the property address and the dates that your property started or stopped being liable for land tax.

You can notify the ACT Revenue Office using the Land Tax Notification Form to advise us of a change in circumstances that may change your land tax liability.

Rented secondary dwellings

If there’s another dwelling on the same parcel as your principal place of residence, such as a granny flat, you only have to pay land tax while the other dwelling is being rented. The land tax payable is a proportion based on the rented floor area.

You’ll need to tell us that you’re renting a secondary dwelling.

Correcting an assessment

If you receive a land tax assessment for your property in error, please contact us for a review.

Responsibilities of agents

You are ultimately responsible for ensuring land tax is correctly paid, even if you use an agent to manage your property. If the agent fails to notify the ACT Revenue Office, you will be held responsible for the unpaid land tax plus any interest and penalties.


Certain types of residential land are exempt from land tax, such as property that serves as a retirement village or nursing home, or land that provides accommodation for a member of a religious organisation to perform his or her duties. Other land tax exemptions include:

  • properties on land unfit for occupation (e.g. under construction)
  • properties occupied for nil or nominal rent
  • a property owned by person who has lost the ability to live independently in the property
  • land used for rural purposes
  • a broad acre subdivision
  • a property with a guardian or manager for a person with a legal disability
  • residential land that a trustee owns under the will of a deceased person and that a life tenant occupies
  • residential land that a trustee or guardian owns on behalf of a person with a legal disability
  • residential land that a not-for-profit housing corporation owns

An exemption on compassionate grounds may be available for up to one year on a rented residential property, if the Commissioner for ACT Revenue is satisfied that the owner is temporarily absent because of a compelling compassionate reason. To request this exemption, you must complete and submit the Land Tax Exemption Application Form.