General FAQ's

All bonds received by a lessor or agency are required to be lodged in accordance with the Act.

For all complaints and the failure to lodge a bond by the lessor or agency, the tenant can contact the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (ACAT).

Effective from the 26 March 2018, tenants are no longer able to transfer a bond payment as a result of a change in tenancy. This change will serve to reduce potential disputes about bond payments not being correctly transferred with Rental Bonds and will simplify the bond refund process for tenants.

Individual tenants moving into a property should seek to enter into a new tenancy agreement and have their bond lodged and paid to the Rental Bonds Office.

Occasionally tenants move into a new property and would prefer that the bond automatically transfer to the new property. This can only occur if the property is managed by the same lessor or agent as the original property.

The tenant and the lessor or managing agent will need to complete and lodge a Transfer of rental premises form. The bond will then be transferred and the amount lodged will be applied to the bond for the new property.

Where there is a change in lessor/managing agent a Change of Lessor or Managing Agent form can be completed and emailed to

Property managers who represent an agency often change. In order to be aware of who has the authority to act on behalf of an agency relating to a bond, each agency is required to submit an Agent's Signature Authority form whenever there is a change in property management team. It is also important that each new Agent Signature Authority form is signed by an appropriately authorised person within the agency such as the principal.

Where there is a change in lessor the same Change of Lessor or Managing Agent form should be completed and emailed

Where a lessor wishes to revoke the rights of the previous lessor/managing agent they can complete a Revocation of Agency form, include a copy of a current rates notice and identification and send to Rental Bonds for processing. A lessor may revoke previous lessor/managing agents rights at any stage of a Bond.

Tenants contact details are provided to the Rental Bonds Office by lessors and agencies when completing the bond lodgement process. These contact details are used to send tenants their receipts and Bond Refund Notice.

Tenants not wishing to be contacted via email should complete the Change of Contact Details form to opt out of receiving email correspondence and provide a postal address for the service of documents. It should be noted that it will take longer to complete processes where documents need to be posted.

If a tenant has changed their email address since their bond was lodged they should complete the Change of Contact Details form to notify the Rental Bonds Office of their new email address. The form should be emailed to