Rental bonds


Upcoming Changes

From 26 March 2018 bonds may only be paid via electronic funds transfer. This change is made in accordance with the
Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and will serve to streamline the bond lodgement process.

Other payment methods, such as cheques, credit cards and money orders will no longer be accepted from this date. It should be noted that bond lodgement forms should be lodged via email to at the time of making payment.

Furthermore, the process of transferring tenants on a bond has ceased. This option has been removed to reduce issues and/or disputes which can occur due to a transfer not being valid.

A Bond refund form will need to be lodged at the time a tenant vacates the premises.  A new bond must then be lodged within 14 days for a lessor and 30 days for an agent after receiving the bond payment.

We've Moved

ACT Rental Bonds Fyshwick location is closed, you can contact Rental Bonds:
By phone: (02) 6207 0028
By email:
Or by post at our new postal address: ACT Rental Bonds, PO Box 293, CIVIC SQUARE ACT 2608

About Rental Bonds

Most landlords or agents will ask you to pay a bond when renting a residential property. A bond acts as a security for the performance of the tenant’s obligations under a residential tenancy agreement. Bond money can be used by the lessor (also known as the landlord) to pay things such as damage caused by a tenant (besides normal wear and tear) or any outstanding payable rent.

Lessors and agents are not required by law to take a bond from a tenant, however, if they do receive a bond they are required to lodge it. Bonds can be any amount not exceeding the first four weeks rent. Lessors and agents must give the tenant a receipt as proof of payment of the bond.

The ACT Revenue Office is responsible for the receipt and management of residential tenancy rental bonds in the ACT under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (the Act) and the Residential Tenancies Regulation 1998 (the Regulation).

The ACT Revenue Office does not provide legal advice to tenants, landlords or real estate agents.

If you’re the lessor, you’ll need to pay land tax for a rented or vacant property that’s not your principal place of residence. You may be liable for the foreign ownership surcharge if you’re not an Australian citizen or resident.

Tenants can contact

Complaints relating to real estate agents, salespersons and property managers

Lessors/landlords can contact

  • Landlords can contact the Legal Advice Bureau at the Law Society on (02) 6274 0300.