Energy industry levy
The Energy Industry Levy is used to recover costs associated with regulating utilities to companies providing services in the ACT. Energy providers are required to register with the Commissioner for ACT Revenue within 90 days after commencing these services.
The Energy Industry Levy is applied to four energy sectors, these are:
- electricity distribution;
- electricity supply;
- gas distribution; and
- gas supply.
ACT regulatory costs are determined each year and are apportioned between the four energy sectors. The fixed and variable amounts vary according to the reference year and sector type. These amounts are displayed in the online return form
Lodgement of Returns
Registered utilities are required to lodge annual returns each year and must be lodged with the Commissioner by 31 October in the same financial year. Use the Online Energy Industry Levy return form to lodge the annual return and make payment by EFT or BPay.
Investigation of the Energy Industry Levy
The ACT Government has completed its investigation of the ACT Energy Industry Levy (EIL). This levy is paid by energy operators to the ACT Government to cover regulatory costs associated with the energy industry sector. The investigation examined the methodology used to distribute the total regulatory costs between operators, to ensure it promotes an equitable distribution and supports a competitive energy market in the ACT. Further details of this investigation, including the final report and technical report for the investigation, can be found at the following link: www.act.gov.au/energyindustrylevy.
Further information on the Energy Industry Levy can be located using the information below:
- Energy Industry Levy Registration
- Energy Industry Levy Annual Return form (external site)
- Utilities (Energy industry levy – national regulatory obligations and costs) Determination 2018 – NI2018-541 (external site)
- Utilities (Energy industry levy – Other) Determination 2018 – NI2018-544 (external site)
- Utilities (Energy industry levy – local regulatory costs) Determination 2018 – NI2018-542 (external site)
- Utilities (Energy industry levy - net regulatory cost) Determination 2018 - NI2018-543 (external site)