Rights and objections

If you’re a property owner and disagree with the valuation of your land for your rates assessment, you can lodge an objection to the valuation.

Lodging an objection to unimproved value

If you believe your latest unimproved land valuation is incorrect, you can lodge an objection to your latest rates assessment. You must apply in writing through our contact us form or by post, to the Commissioner for ACT Revenue.

Keep in mind that despite your objection, you’re still responsible for paying all charges; if you don’t pay them while your objection is being considered, the charges will accrue interest.

Time limit of objection

There is a strict 60 day time limit under the law to lodge a valuation objection. The 60 day period begins on the date you receive your valuation notice.

If you lodge an objection more than 60 days after receiving your rates assessment notice, the Commissioner for ACT Revenue will not accept the objection. You must wait until you receive your next annual valuation notice for the opportunity to object.

Content of objection

Your correspondence should clearly state the reasons for your objection to the unimproved value. You bear the burden of showing that the objection should be upheld.

Unit owners

If you own a unit as part of a unit complex – a block of land that’s been subdivided into units – you can’t object to your valuation as an individual unit owner because the valuation affects the whole unit complex.

The owners corporation, however, can lodge an objection to the valuation on behalf of all the unit owners.

Objection decisions

The ACT Revenue Office will notify you in writing about the outcome of your valuation objection.

If the Commissioner allows or partly allows your objection, your land value will be adjusted, and we’ll make an adjustment to your accounts.

Objecting to other decisions

Objections can be lodged to other decisions or assessments made by the ACT Revenue Office .