Rights and objections

If you disagree with the valuation of your land for your rates assessment, you can lodge an objection to the valuation.

Lodging an objection to unimproved value

If you believe your latest unimproved land valuation is incorrect, you can lodge an objection to your latest rates assessment. You must apply in writing through our contact us form or by post, to the Commissioner for ACT Revenue. You should clearly state the reasons for your objection to the unimproved land value. You bear the burden of showing that the objection should be upheld.

Keep in mind that despite your objection, you’re still responsible for paying all charges; if you don’t pay them while your objection is being considered, the charges will accrue interest.

Time limit of objections

There is a strict 60 day time limit under the law to lodge a valuation objection. This period begins on the date you receive your valuation notice.

The Commissioner for ACT Revenue will not accept objections more than 60 days after you receive your rates assessment notice. You must wait until you receive your next annual valuation notice for the opportunity to object.

Unit owners

If you own a unit as part of a unit complex, any objection to the valuation must be made by the owners corporation on behalf of all the unit owners.

Objection decisions

We will notify you in writing about the outcome of your valuation objection.

If the Commissioner allows or partly allows your objection, your land value will be adjusted, and we’ll make an adjustment to your accounts.