Rental bonds

How to lodge a bond

If a lessor or agent receives a bond, they are required to lodge the bond. Lessors must lodge the bond within two weeks of receipt of the bond or commencement of the tenancy. Managing agents are required to lodge the bond within four weeks of receiving the bond, or commencement of the tenancy.

Bonds may be lodged by direct deposit to the Rental Bonds account or by credit card and the Bond lodgement form emailed.  The bond lodgement form can be posted with either a cheque or an Australia Post money order. Cheques should be made payable to the Office of Rental Bonds. Alternatively, you can provide credit card details on the Bond lodgement form.

Lessors and agents may lodge multiple bonds using one cheque, providing the total of the cheque equals the total amount of the bonds lodged and the lessor or agent is the same for each premises. Transfers cannot be included as part of a bulk bond lodgement.

You can send the completed Bond lodgement form (DOC 72KB) or (195KB) by via email to or posted to:

ACT Rental Bonds
PO Box 293

The bond lodgement form must contain the signatures of all interested parties. These signatures will be required when a claim for refund of bond is lodged in order to verify that the claimants are those on the original bond form.

The Bond lodgement form should not include children or any person who has not contributed to the bond.