Compliance activities ensure home buyers benefiting from the First Home Owner Grant and any of the home buyer concession schemes we provide satisfy the eligibility criteria.
All applications for benefits are checked to verify that applicants have met the eligibility criteria, including any income and residency requirements.
Applicants who are found to be ineligible for the schemes are required to repay the benefits. They may also be liable for penalty tax and/or interest.
Activities undertaken to ensure compliance with home buyer assistance schemes include:
- identify and investigate applicants who fail to meet the residency requirements;
- verify undeclared domestic partnerships;
- investigate prior and current property ownership;
- verify undeclared amounts of income; and
- investigate anonymous disclosures and tip offs.