ACT property owners pay rates to provide funding for a wide range of municipal and other essential services to the ACT community. Under the Rates Act 2004 "owner" includes the registered proprietor of a parcel of land, a mortgagee in possession or a person holding the parcel of land under a sublease from the Territory.
In the ACT, the municipal services provided include:
- additions to and maintenance of main roads, bicycle paths and footpaths;
- the establishment, maintenance and upkeep of recreational areas, swimming pools, public libraries, halls and community centres; and
- garbage and waste disposal services, stormwater drainage, street lighting and cleaning.
Other essential services include:
- health and community care, education, policing, justice and community safety, public transport, environment and nature reserves, emergency services, sport and recreation, tourism, arts, land and planning.
- Register here to receive your Rates and Land Tax notice by email
- Online postal address update
- Rates Act 2004 (external site)
- Rate Changes [RTF, 5Mb] [PDF, 125Kb]